- This event has passed.
Healing Grief Through Mindfulness and Movement
February 24, 2015 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm$170
Seven week series (plus 1/2 day retreat): Tuesday evenings from February 24th – April 7th 7:00-9:00pm
Many of us hold unresolved grief. The death of a loved one that we feel we “should” be over by now but over two years later we still look back, a loss of love that we had longed for in a relationship, a loss of faith in ourselves.
In this seven-week series Joey Corcoran, LCMHC and Suzanne Boyd, Certified Kripalu Yoga Instructor, will offer you tools to explore your grief from a fresh perspective. We will use an approach which appeals to body, mind and heart that may unlock the freeze of unresolved grief and provide skillful means to integrate it.
The series will include an optional three-hour silent retreat that is an opportunity to deepen your yoga and mindfulness practice. Joey will facilitate instruction in practices of mindfulness meditation and lovingkindness to relate to difficult emotions in healthy ways. Suzanne will guide participants in gentle yoga with music. This will allow you to explore possibilities evoked by the seven basic chakras and movement that goes beyond habitual patterning and body memories.
No previous yoga experience is necessary. It is our intention to create a supportive group environment that will encourage your exploration. In addition, we will suggest weekly journaling assignments that will allow you to deepen it.
Joey Corcoran is a licensed mental health counselor who has been offering this Healing Grief series since 2010. She has experience both as a hospice volunteer as well as a volunteer Interfaith Chaplain at FAHC. Joey has encountered her own experiences with loss and grief, and shares a compassionate understanding of the experience in others.
Suzanne Boyd is a Certified Kripalu Yoga Instructor and an iRest Level 1 Teacher in Training, with experience in working with populations of veterans and their families. Her passion is to introduce people to yoga’s potential to heal the mind, body and spirit, enabling one to experience life with more confidence, ease and resilience.
This class series is for you if…
- You are feeling stuck in anger, bitterness, and/or sadness over a loss of a loved one, a relationship, physical ability and you are feeling ready to find a new perspective through mindfulness and gentle yoga movement.
In this class series you will…
- Learn mindfulness and yoga practices that open a new way of being and relating to yourself and others with more a more compassionate and open heart.
- Experience a more spacious perspective on your grief and loss that allows you to be more present in your daily life.
- Be supported in a caring and nonjudgmental group environment — a safe space to share and process your own experience.
As a result of this class you will also…
- Receive a free CD of guided mindfulness and yoga practices.
- Have access to free weekly emails with journal topics to deepen your reflections as well as encouragement in your practice for the week.
- Get takeaways and handouts that will help you develop new skills and allow you to bring forward the experience through the rest of your life.
Ready to sign up? Claim your spot now by calling 802-658-9440 or register online by clicking here.*
$170 for the 7-week series plus 1/2 day meditation retreat*
*Insurance is accepted for this series. If you have insurance please call to learn how you can attend the series at a fraction of the cost.
Work-Study: We have one work-study spot available for this group. If you are interested in attending this series for free in exchange for working at the center give us a call at 802-658-9440.
Contributing Participant: Part of our mission at VTCIT is to offer services to all those who would seek growth and healing, regardless of ability to pay. This program offers the option of participating in the series at the cost of $200, $75 of which will be contributed to our scholarship fund, which is used to reduce or eliminate the cost of VTCIT programs and services for those who need financial assistance. You can also contribute directly to this fund, in any amount you’d like, click here for more details.
Secure your spot now by clicking here to make your payment.*
*Pre-screening is required: please call Joey Corcoran at 802-654-7600, ext. 4 to learn more.